Sunday, July 13, 2014

Difference Between Jewelry Maker's Marks and Hallmarks

     I guess I never really thought about there being a difference before.  The more I research each piece in my collection, the more I learn there is a lot more to learn.  No one could possibly know it all, right?  Besides it is a lot of fun when I discover another piece to the puzzle.  Even if it means I have discovered there are a lot more pieces yet to be discovered.
     This is what I found on my journey today... While researching this gold tone crown pin/brooch marked "Paquette" from my collection, I was led to an interesting website that I plan returning to over and over.  The title of this great discovery?  The Jewelry Loupe, (a celebration of human ornament).  (I wish I would have thought of that.)  You'll find all kinds of useful information Cathleen McCarthy has included on her website for us jewelry junkies.  I love it and I think you will love it too. You'll find out where to get educated in the trade, what they are wearing on "The Good Wife" TV show (not to mention the red carpet) as well as some basics like how to buy a jewelry loupe.  Maybe you would like to know how to wear jewelry like a rock star.  You'll find all this and more, lots more.  Here's a teaser from the site, but you will want to check it out for yourself in all its glory.

What you need to know about jewelry hallmarks
May 6, 2010
By 
Buying antique or vintage jewelry means first figuring out what it is, where and when it was made, and by whom. That’s why the first thing an experienced buyer will do is hold a piece up to a loupe and examine it for hallmarks. If jewelry has hallmarks and they appear authentic, identifying its value is a whole lot easier.
But many countries – including the U.S. – do not have an official hallmarking system and the hallmarks of one country can vary dramatically from another. How does a budding collector begin to unravel this puzzle?
A trusted dealer can help but if you want to learn to identify jewelry on your own, you’ll need a good guide. There are a few books on the market, but if you want the ultimate, illustrated reference book, be prepared to shell out a couple hundred bucks for World Hallmarks: Europe 19th-21st Centuries, due out in its second printing this month. As co-author Danusia Niklewicz puts it, “This book will pay for itself with one correctly identified piece.”
I recently spoke to Niklewicz and William Whetstone, who compiled this tome with fellow appraiser Lindy Matula, about the basics of hallmark identification.
Is it common for people to confuse a maker’s mark with a hallmark?
- See more at: http://thejewelryloupe.com/jewelry-hallmarks-ultimate-consumer-protection/#sthash.sl6ksAEP.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment